4.21.2010

What the ??? Wednesday

Yesterday morning I weighed in and found that I was still dangling around the 10 lb mark rather than the 12 lb mark that I'd hit over the weekend. I was shocked but I couldn't really be appalled given the fact that I'd downed some fairly quality grease, fried, Mexican and fast food combinations. And so I declared today to be What the ??? Wednesday, so named because I would go all out regardless of reason or aching booty and reclaim the two pounds that should have been mine!

I started with a quick 30 minutes of grading essays (only one graded, but I felt like I made a difference). Then I hit the gym for 9:30 Zumba (529 calories burned), followed by half an hour of the 10:30 Yoga class (188 calories burned), and topped off with a delicious 11:30 appointment with Betty the Meanie (228 calories burned).

Needless to say I was delirious by 1 p.m. I worked a "Woo Hoo" scream into conversations with the Blockbuster saleswoman, the delightful Subway sandwich artist and my husband.

By 2:00 I was melting onto the couch with a turkey sub in one hand and a remote in the other watching Glee.

This is when my "What the Heck Are You Thinking Wednesday" went a little south and became a class A "What the French Wednesday".

First, Glee somehow stopped taping before it was over. Grrrr. Then I got a call from a friend asking me if I'd said something. I don't even remember the event, let alone talking about it. But the bigger issue is that this is just such a high school question to ask.

Sure, working out like a psycho to move two pounds in one day is high school.

Working the words "Woo Hoo" into casual conversation is high school.

So is watching Glee I suppose in many ways.

But being asked if I said something? Geez-La-frickin-weez. (Okay, that was a little high school, too).

Truth be told, I don't know if I said something. I doubt it because the issue was news to me. Further, I've been pretty much over gossip since I got a little something called a life about ten years ago. Motherhood, working, finances, dinner, writing, making a marriage work. They all kind of keep me a little preoccupied.

It's hard to remember that I have friends, to remember to say hi and check in given the fact that at times it's been hard to remember to bathe. I can't imagine that I'd use that time to issue a hard diss about someone I love.

So why on earth do I even care? Because I do. Because I am not bigger than stupidity no matter how much I wish I were. Because stupid questions and trivial nonsense still piss me off to no end. And while I acknowledge that it is infinitely better to be pissed off than pissed on, this just kind of put a nappy hump in my otherwise sunny day.

This line of thinking reminded me that today is the first truly beautiful day in about a week. Blue skies, sunshine, cool breezes. Everything I love. And I decided to take a walk out in the sunshine so that I could immerse myself in what matters rather than get bogged down by what doesn't.

You see, I've gained more than just 50 lbs since high school in the almost twenty years since high school I've also gained a little something called perspective. I know what matters and what doesn't. Right now, finding Glee online and catching those last 10 minutes matters. Checking in on how my kids day went (after they actually come inside and pay attention to me) matters. Cooking dinner matters. Even writing this blog matters.

But in the grand scheme of my jam-packed day, I am clear that high school comedy is what I crave, not high school drama.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting post... as for the question that your friend asked... I would guess to say that it is not a high school question if the question is relevant to their friendship. I wouldn't go so far as to call a necessary question, that could determine many things about the friendship, "high school". The friend may look at this blog and also think What the ??? is your point and aren't friends supposed to be able to ask one another questions that they feel are relevant to them. Isn't that what friends do?

Anonymous said...

That was very similar to walking in on someone's intimacy - I'm going to back out of here quickly & avoid making eye contact...

Unknown said...

Hmm, Anonymous #1. I think that the concept of wondering if someone said something to someone else is very high school indeed. It was my very first thought -- I actually haven't been asked this question many times since high school. On the other hand, asking friends questions that are relevant is always a part of true friendship. I think my point is that the nature of the situation is one that is more familiar to high school than adulthood.

Unknown said...

To Anonymous #2, not sure which part you felt was a little TMI, but I'm so sorry for the breach of your personal space :o)