4.29.2010

Food for Thought

Well, It's Thursday and I'm off to a good start. I ran/walked my 5K route in 00:46 minutes (that's 3 less than yesterday!) and burned 502 cal. The bonus? By getting my heart rate up to over 10 calories burned per minute for so long, I will burn more calories all day, even if I sit on my fanny. Pretty sweet.

I'm still working on a plan for nutrition. It has to be easy, realistic, yummy and easy. I know I mentioned easy twice, but it's very important. Truth be told, I don't even like fast food, but it's easy so I'm tempted.

So far, my master plan for nutrition is being shaped by two pop culture pillars of wisdom: Anton Ego & Quinn.

One aspect of the new approach will be to channel the voice of my favorite (fictional) food critic --Anton Ego from Ratatouille. There's a point when Linguine asks him how a food critic can be so skinny and he replies that if he doesn't love it, he doesn't swallow. I'm thinking that if I don't love it (and loving it will be based on flavor or benefit) I won't eat it.


The other night on Glee, Quinn had a moment of tenderness with Mercedes and talked about reframing the idea of nutrition. If you can change the way you eat to give a baby what they need, you should be willing to love yourself enough to do the same. The idea of good nutrition being an act of love -- and specifically of self love -- is really resonating in my mind.


Much of this process of reclaiming fitness, reclaiming my body, has been about re-discovering how much I love myself and feeling brave enough to love myself in visable ways. Who would have thought that loving could be so hard? I spent years figuring out how to love my husband, truly. I spent years learning to love my children, consistently and unconditionally. Now the process is coming full circle and I'm learning to love myself in the same ways.


I'm having to love myself despite flaws in the same way I had to learn to love my husband despite his. I'm having to love myself despite the fact that I can thoroughly disappoint and piss myself off at times, just like with my children.


Ah, but baby steps. . .


Today I just need to get through the challenge of healthy food choices!


I have no intention of eating disgusting things, but I do plan to love myself with food rather than pimp smacking myself with unhealthy choices.

To amend the words of the great Anton Ego, If I don't love it-- and it doesn't love me back -- I won't swallow.

Today, the foods in my home that I love and that love me back are strawberries, chicken, quinoa, lettuce and feta cheese so I'll try to figure out some combination with those in starring roles and others foods playing back up.


I may have to take the dinner scene one day at a time, but for now the plan is to crock pot a little barbecue chicken. Sodium rich, perhaps, but home cooked and you've got to start somewhere!


Until next. . .


Oh, P.S. Here's what I found in the fridge: left over salmon (6 oz, baked), 1/2 a cup of 5 minute couscous with nutmeg (my friends sister in law puts nutmeg on everything and it's actually really good!) and grapes. Total calories: 566.3; 42.2 g protein, 50.2 g carbs and 21.9 g fat. By the way, my goal is to move that fat content down and push the carbs up, but that will have to come in time!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the words of Rachel Rae, "Looks Delish!!"

Unknown said...

It was!!! Yummy & healthy & not processed -- who knew?

P said...

I'm right there with you on learning to love myself!! I was doing so well with my eating between the end of '07 - '08 and then turned around last year, all of the 16 pounds I lost. I know what to do, I buy the healthy foods but of course when Mr. Potato Chip speaks and Mr. Apple speaks, Mr. chip wins. Now I don't eat Mr. Chip all of the time, but it's getting back into control and into a less food self-defeating place. 'Cause when it all comes together it works!! I have no excuses, I have all of the info from my nutritionist and just need to hold myself accountable again.