4.22.2010

Taking Flight

So today, I have a two-for-one scenario going on. I've posted about my moment of awkwardness that wouldn't end fast enough today at the zoo, but I also am thinking about a more graceful moment that, while fleeting, was as wonderful as the lions were mortifying.


Yesterday, I walked into a class with a new yoga instructor -- I'm in the cheese-moving phase of my fitness cycle -- and I felt a little nervous about my ability to keep up with someone I didn't know.


To make matters worse, the yoga instructor joked with the class that a recent sub left her a note to "go easier" on the class because she was "way too hard." She followed this with I laugh that I thought trilled a little into the wicked witch cackle category, but I could have been imagining things.


Despite my trepidation (justified or not), yesterday I felt a surge of energy. Maybe it was the clip I'd viewed recently on a 91 year old yogini (http://money.cnn.com/video/news/2010/04/12/n_cmr_92_year_old_yoga.cnnmoney/index.html). Maybe it was all the Madonna in the air. I'm not sure. I just wanted to bring my A game in this room full of unintentionally intimidating strangers.


As usual, when I feel uncertain yet want to succeed, my drive got the better of me. I found myself pushing each move a little further than I usually do. I kept my planks tight, my up dog solid, my fingers wide in down dog. My chest was lifted with a grace I rarely bring to my usual class as I reversed some pose I can't remember the name of. I even held a Warrior 3 pose that left me dropping beads of sweat on the floor and then looking around for someone to high five, but it turns out that's more a Zumba thing than a yoga thing.



Then it happened -- when I was so caught up in keeping up that I forgot about what I could not do -- the instructor took us from child pose (a little ball of myself) right into crane and I went! Okay, I held the pose for like 3 seconds and my toes aren't pointed and my butt could be lower but all of these things will come in time. Besides, my regular yoga instructor says if you only hold it for a second, it counts. So I'm counting it baby!






Crane was something I was certain I would never be able to do. Never. And I wouldn't feel bad in the least. For me, it's about the flexibility, the breathing, the balance. At least, it was. Now my goals in yoga a changed a little. That door called opportunity cracked open just a little and I've gone and had myself a peek. I want to know what else my body can do and I have a sneeky suspicion that I will truly be amazed by what I find.

1 comment:

P said...

Go girl!! I'm flexible but I think my wrist may give out. LOL