5.21.2010

Tiny Victories



One of the (many) reasons that I started working out this spring was my kids. It was very important for me to project all of the things that being a fit mom will project: healthy eating habits, physical activity, fun and positivity.




I've always tried to set goals and share discussions with them regarding what it will take to reach them, but physicality has never truly been a major part of my relationship with them.




Having two sons, I kind of hid behind the excuse that daddy will play with them; I am here to nurture and love them. Then daddy got busy with a new job and mommy, well, mommy was still pretty much holding down the position of sofa jockey. I didn't do heat, or sweat, or discomfort and playing with my boys in the Texas heat meant experiencing all three.




It didn't take long to know this was wrong. To know what the real source of irritation was when I had to go upstairs to answer a question (that it was physically exhausting) or to understand that my older son was putting on weight because he was spending more and more time with me (fast food + AC + sofa = 10 lbs on his 49 inch frame).




So now it's been 4 months since my own personal commitment to moving toward all over fitness and the tiny victories are starting to come rolling in.




For Mother's Day, my 7 year old listed my weight as 30 lbs (God bless that boy!) and said that the activities he enjoys most are playing with me and cooking with me. Image after image in his little book dedicated to me featured me active -- playing, singing, laughing, chasing.




I'm guessing you know I cried. And cried. And cried.




I was touched, but it was more than just mother's pride. It was plain old fashioned pride, the kind that comes from trying something that's hard and coming out on the other side with something to show for your efforts.




On Tuesday, I passed the boys' school and saw my 10 year old standing outside at PE. He shouted, "Mom!" and when a few friends looked around, he said, "That's my mom, yeah, she's doing her morning run." I felt so proud. Heck, I'm crying now as I type.




Today, I spent the morning with my 7 year old, jumping and dancing and playing in the sun. Then I hustled over to the 10 year old's class where I joined a couple of other moms and led the kids through Simon Says, Heads Up Seven Up and the Hokey Pokey -- all fairly physical games, all games in which I participated.




I burned 1400 calories by 1:30 in the afternoon and I didn't feel exhausted in the least. I felt a little giddy to tell you the truth. I'd kind of forgotten how fun it is to play.




You see, this is what I wanted. I wanted it all, the full spectrum of life and not just the numbed existence that comes from cocooning yourself in inactivity & food. Tiny victories, yes, but magical ones nonetheless.




Until next,

2 comments:

P said...

Great Stuff!! And I loved Seven Ups in school!! Nice to hear/read they still play those games. I still sing "Little Rabbit Froo Froo...", but then everyone may not know that song..LOL.

Unknown said...

Are you kidding me? I sing:

"Little Rabbit Froo Froo,
hopping through the garden,
pickin up the field mice,
and poppin em on the head!"

All the time! I sing it and then chase the boys to pop em on the head then run for dear life when they come back for me. LOL! That one & Ryan likes that "Roll Over" song. I forget all of it, but the part I sing is:

There were 10 in the bed
and the little said,
'roll over, roll over'
so they all rolled over
and one fell out
there were 9 in the bed
and the little one said. . .

And it goes on from there. Do you remember that one? Good times, good times!