5.13.2010

Thrilled on Thursday

Okeedokey, so I had my biweekly training session with Betty the Meanie today. You may expect groans, but I'm here with nothing but a bucket of wahoos!

As you may know, I've been on a plateau for the last 4 weeks. That's right, what started as "Woohoo! I lost twelve pounds!!!" had dwindled down to "What the heck? Twelve stinkin pounds?" And I was feeling a wee bit frustrated.

Luckily, I didn't lose my determination. I've been pushing since last week to get my mojo back and saying screw the scale for the most part. Secretly, though, I was harboring the hope that I'd drop at least half a pound, but when Weigh-in Wednesday rolled around I remained deadlocked.

I screamed a few comments that are not appropriate for delicate ears and then resigned myself to the ugly truth: Betty the Meanie was going to have to step in & do some straightenin'.

So where's the good news? Why, you may ask, am I thrilled on this fine Thursday?

I'll tell you. First, I lost .8 inches on my waist. Sweet! I lost .5 on the old tatas (thank you, Lord!), and although the scale remained unchanged, I lost three pounds of fat & gained three pounds of muscle. Sweet!

Rule #1: 3500 calories = 1 lb. Always. Either way.
  • 3500 deficit in a week? one pound lost.
  • 3500 surplus in a week? one pound gained.

Betty printed my food intake report & lo and behold, my average caloric intake was equal to my average caloric burn. In plain English, that's a standard formula for a plateau. Not exactly rocket science :o).

She also went through my food choices and gave me a little insight into where I was going wrong & what was just fine & dandy. Here are the highlights:

Rule #2: If it comes from the earth, it's good. If it comes from man, not so much (Not that man isn't lovely).

Apparently, margerine is pretty much the devil. It does nothing for you & is rejected by even maggots & flies. Butter in moderation is the better choice.

Coke is way better than diet Coke. I FINALLY got an answer to the aspertame/high fructose corn syrup question. Turns out that both trigger insulin production, but, since they are unnatural, insulin won't take them on. In the end, your body processes them as sugar & turns them to fat, but the insulin surplus causes you to crave sugar. You then, in turn, eat the "diet" food and the naughty food due to a biological craving (not just a psychological one).

And the M&M chocolate chip cookies that show up on that report? Well, turns out there are worse things in life. But they should come earlier rather than later. Convenient: I only crave them later so so long Mr. Cookie . . .

So there you are. I am thrilled this Thursday because the mystery is solved -- I'm not losing weight for obvious reasons that I have the capacity to control. I'm also free to avoid crap-tastic diet food and seize my healthier, tastier options. Nice.

Nothing like a freedom & control cocktail to leave you feeling giddy & buzzed and right now I'm feeling so good I may not need to drive for a while!

Until next,

No comments: