1.13.2013

No Gimmicks, but Still Golden

Today I read on Facebook that a friend lost 20 lbs.

She looks amazing: lean, strong, happy.

There's a comment or two that emphasize that she did this with "no gimmicks" just clean eating and working out. I couldn't help wondering what people might think in response to this.

As I've gone through my own fitness journey, I've had people try to get me to go with gimmicks. Worse yet, now folks are hitting me up for quick fixes like I have a secret stash of crack and we are in an alley somewhere.

I don't know what to say: gimmicks don't work.

If gimmicks worked, the weight I lost on a gazillion fad diets over the years (Atkins, cucumber/vinegar drink thing, lettuce diet, you name it; I did it!) would have worked. I would have lost weight and ridden off into the sunset with my perky little rump.

It didn't happen for me.

It isn't likely to happen for you.

You can't get a shot and live off of 500 calories a day or sprinkle something on your food or restrict yourself to only certain foods, none of this, etc. and expect your body to respond as it should. Oh, you might get a short term response, but in the long term that fat is gonna slap you like a gelatinous boomerang. It will not be pretty people. Not pretty at all.

I think I've said it before, but I will say it again: It takes time, energy and determination to gain weight; it will take time, energy and determination to lose it.

These are the brakes.

The friend I mentioned above happens to be a fitness professional. She teaches kicka$$ classes in the DFW area. The kind of classes that make you pray out loud, maybe even grunt from time to time.

Consider that: She works out for a living. She knows what she is doing and has the support of one of the best personal trainers I've ever met. And it still took 6 months to achieve her hot, lean look. Six. Months. Although she was trading fat lbs for muscle lbs, that still works out to less than a pound a week.

People come to me and want to lose twice that in half the time. I'm not sure that this is realistic, but I am certain it is not wise. More certain that anything that fast is not likely to last long term.

Here's what I am thinking. Consider making small, sustainable changes in three-week segments. Here are five small steps to get you started:

  1. Integrate a comprehensive supplement (multivitamin, Shakeology, calcium, iron, magnesium, B12). 
  2. Establish a realistic workout program and stick to it.
  3. Commit to one serving of root vegetables every day (carrots, beets, sweet potatoe, jicama, leeks).
  4. Integrate one serving of leafy green vegetables every day (spinach, cabbage, brussel sprouts, artichokes, collard greens).
  5. Spend 15 minutes listening to or 10 minutes reading positive, edifying words (personal development, spiritual, work related, goal oriented content) each day.

If you concentrate on committing to one goal at a time for 3 weeks each, that will take you just under 4 months. I'd love to know how the scale moves and your measurements change with this simple series of commitments. No fireworks, no rah rah, but you will succeed and change your life.

I am rooting for you and believing in you.

Until next,

No comments: