3.21.2010

Long Time, No See!

Well folks, I have genuinely missed you. Wish I could say I've been doing something fantabulous, but alas, I have only been engaged in advanced dicking around.

Okay, there have been a handfull of worthwhile efforts, relevant ventures and the like. But all in all, I feel like there's been plenty of hustle without much to show.

One of the worthwhile ventures I've picked up is a renewed commitment to fitness. You may recall last year's love affair and all of the associated discoveries. This year, my goal was less oriented on staying sane and more focused on the more superficial elements of life. I fell off the wagon at the YMCA after lots and lots of work and not much to show.

I then spent about two months riding on the coat tails of my previous workout; two more months of mortification at my rapidly spreading rump; and finally, a writing assignment to review local gyms brought me back to the fitness game where I was summarily humiliated by the backlash of backsliding.

Now, here I am, 7 lbs lighter than I was a month ago and feeling pretty good. I've joined a new gym (24 hour fitness) and purchased a shocking amount of fun little accessories to help me in my journey. My favorite new toy? The bodybugg. It is a fabulous little thing that seems to be exactly what the doctor ordered. This thing calculates heart rate, steps and calories burned. If you enter your food (and I do) it will even make it very clear -- with color-coded charts and graphs -- just why your ass is still fat.

I believe I needed this little bodybugg. It's like Florence, the maid from The Jeffersons, smirking matter of factly and pointing out just why I'm a jive turkey. You can lie to Weight Watchers; you can fake the funk in your group exercise class; but no matter how you try, you can not, lie to the bodybugg. It knows all and doesn't flinch to tell it.

If there is anything in life I can respect, it's a balls to the wall examination of what's really going on so you can imagine that we are a match made in heaven!

My favorite new group exercise find? That's a tough one. If you'd asked me Friday, it would be 24 set (think step aerobics and weight lifting combined). If you'd asked yesterday, it would be yoga. Today, it's Everlast shadow boxing -- 45 crazy minutes marked by sweat and confusion and manic energy. It's a little something I like to call a damn good time :o).

My favorite new, absolutely ridiculous thing? A personal trainer. Betty Guiterrez is her name, I mention it so that you can either seek her out and ask her why she'd hurt someone as sweet and kind as I am or so you can go and ask her to hurt you, too. It's your choice just go with whatever you are into -- no judgment.

This woman is kind and beautiful and cheerful and polite -- all of which she bestows while asking you to suffer what is tantamount to physical torture. And yes, I pay for it. I don't want to know what that says about me -- I choose to avoid words like "masochist" and instead, opt for "fitness enthusiast" and "boundary pusher."

At any rate, combined, the new fitness fun I've been having has boosted my energy level most days (sucked me dry others). Overall, it's boosted the seratonin levels, my boobs & my rump, so I'm good!

In other fun stuff I've been writing for AOL's That's fit. You can check out the riveting gym reviews (hey, gotta start somewhere) now at the link below. If you post comments, I make more money so feel free to do so! If you don't, I've already been paid so that's cool too :o). There is also a single fitness article scheduled to be published in the months to come. I've also been registering on a few other freelancing sites so the new direction is chugging along nicely.

So sorry to have been absent for so long and yet, absolutely ecstatic to catch up again.

Until Next,
Kimberlyn

http://www.thatsfit.com/2010/02/23/la-fitness-keller-texas-review/
http://www.thatsfit.com/2010/02/26/northpark-ymca-of-fort-worth-review/

2 comments:

Tracy said...

You've got me all confused with all the different places to leave comments!! Sheesh!
Great new post and ever so happy that you're enjoying fitness- wanting so badly to catch the bug again myself, but you know it's all about the outdoors for me--the weather is just picking up, though...
Also loved the reviews- you did a fantastic job, my dear!! Did you get the newest link I sent you? That's even sexier!!

Kimberlyn said...

Yep, I did! Very cool. I'm only just registering with freelancer.com and being bowled over with opportunities. Right now I've got more writing ops than I know what to do with, but it's ALL good!