11.05.2010

The "Before"





So, I was skimming through the Team Beach Body message boards a couple of days ago & found Victoria who is on the P90X journey. The woman is amazing, but the point that most resonated with me was that she had trouble finding an isolated "before" photo. Turns out that she used her daughter as a human shield when it came to the cameras, too.



I actually laughed out loud because this was my M.O. as well. My buddy Theresa has trouble even believing I was ever heavy. The thing is, I didn't stand in a room wearing a bathing suit to be photographed - at the time, that sounded like crazy talk! There was no way I would humiliate myself like that. Now I wish I had.



If all goes as it has, I'm about a week away from 40 lbs lost and that feels significant for me. I have only just graced the folds of the "overweight" and escaped the "obese" classification. That feels HUGE (pardon the pun). I've lost over 9 inches from my chest alone -- that doesn't even sound possible :o) -- and can now buy bras like a normal person, in a normal store that actually fit.



Each of these changes, don't have squat on the energy, confidence, joy, enthusiasm, spiritual reconnection and self-love I've rediscovered.



The one downer is that I didn't know it could be done - didn't dare to claim it with a "before" photo. I just knew that I would take it one day at a time and see what happened. I was 20 lbs into this weight loss journey before I even dared to look up and around.



So today, as I unveil my 2004 "BEFORE" photos -- me at my highest 206 -- I want to encourage you to claim it. Go somewhere, grab a camera (use a timer if you can't bear to have a witness :o) and get to clicking. Success is yours; right now.



If you don't believe it, that's okay; lucky you, I have enough faith for the both of us!



Until next,

2 comments:

P said...

Cousin, I understand about "hiding". I always loved to take pictures, but then found myself w/o recognizing it that I was hiding behind people, chairs, shoulders, etc. I was trying to get that great semi front/side angle, too much to the side and it's another ugg shot. I'm sure that photo of you was shortly after a birth of a child.

As for your claiming it, as we were discussing the other day, it all has to click. Like me, I'm sure you knew it could be done, but circling in your mind how to do it or if you even had the "will power" to exercise or eat healthier? The great thing is we get to try another day God willing until we "get it", or it's forced on us.

You are doing wonderfully, keep up the great work! You're an inspiration and I look forward to seeing your 40 off or whatever goal you wish to achieve. xo

Unknown said...

That photo was at my highest -- 206 -- when Ryan was 20 months old. I went into the pregnancy 35-40 lbs overweight, did well while pregnant because I could barely keep anything down and actually gained the extra 15+ lbs AFTER he was born!

This is probably the result of yo-yoing, crazy diet attempts and unhealthy and impractical restrictions on food.

Ya know, I think I knew it could be done, but I'm not sure I felt compelled to do it until I did. I always say: there is a big difference between wishing for something to happen and putting something on "project status." In my case, it was years before holistic fitness was placed on project status.

I think you are also an inspiration, because stress is the direct enemy of fitness and yet given your stressful challenges, you still press forward to reclaim responsibility for your own health. Not easy, but you are on it. & I am soooo impressed!